Week 4 Reflection: Step into 2nd Grade with Mrs. Lemons

This week, I read the blog Step Into Second Grade with Mrs. Lemons. Her blog is so colorful, fun,  and easy to read that I was immediately interested in learning from her! Mrs. Lemons has been teaching for at least 8 years now and more than half of those have been in teaching second grade, so she knows her curriculum very well and has many blog posts that talk about and show her current lesson ideas – which is great for me to look at and learn from! I can really see how much fun the kids probably have when completing these lessons that she plans!

I was surprised by how much she updates her blog, she really keeps it going even when she admits that she’s exhausted, it’s the end of the school year, and she just wants to be sleeping. But, she realizes how much she gains and how much her students gain from her reading other educators blogs, and from keeping up with her own.

Some of the projects that her students have done are area robots, 5 senses poem about lemonade (where they actually got to drink lemonade while writing), Robert Munsch stories for a problem/solution lesson, an awesome lesson on whales (an example of part of this lesson is shown below), and much more. This will definitely be a blog that I continue to read because of its authenticity, intriguing, easy to read, and engaging lesson ideas & I encourage you all to check it out!

Here is an example part of the whale lesson her students did: